The Global Account Director (GAD) is a commercial Global Account leadership role, responsible for managing and maximizing business results from an assigned global account. The GAD reports to the Director of the Global Vertical.
The GAD is responsible for developing relationships and effective solutions for revenue growth, retention and customer satisfaction, in order to achieve the assigned sales, volume and financial targets. The delivery of target Global Account KPI’s is driven through collaborating with Global Program Manager, Account Management, Pursuit Team and Cross Functional members, who collectively contribute towards and deliver a combination of :
- world class account management,
- business development activities,
- operational excellence and
- consultative selling activities.
In addition to the bulleted focal points (above), the GAD must effectively and diplomatically manage the competing interests between internal profit centres, ensuring that the customer is served in the best possible way whilst simultaneously ensuring the firms Global strategies and objectives are achieved. Furthermore, operational excellence is a critical foundation for account growth and thus another key focus area.
The GAD has accountabilities and responsibilities in three main areas :
Global Account Strategy & Planning
- to develop, manage and execute a Global Account plan, with associated Pursuit Plans, in accordance with approved tools and templates
- to ensure Global Account Plan, with associated Pursuit Plans, is comprehensively populated, encompassing:
- Company Profile, Supply Chain Profile, Trading Overview & Share of Wallet, Customer Relationship DMU (Decision Making Unit) Map and profiles, Operational Performance, Opportunity Roadmap, Customer Development Actions, Account Management team members, Pursuit Plans for all significant opportunities
- goals and objectives for the account that provides acquisition of new business, maintenance of existing business and maintaining or improving profitability.
- accountable for providing the Director of the Global Vertical and key stakeholders with concise, data/fact-driven information and analysis on opportunities, issues, trends and financial results, inclusive of identification of alternatives and options, that facilitates decision making and strategic / tactical execution.
Global Account Internal / External Stakeholder Engagement
- to develop and drive a global account engagement strategy, through development of a global virtual team and strong visible leadership including the virtual network of local account managers in multiple regions and levels, involvement of Executive sponsors and appropriate use of other company resources.
- To establish and maintain long-term strategic relationships with the right level of influencers and decision makers across different levels in the account organisation. Effectively navigates the account’s political and hierarchical structure and establish him/her as a trusted advisor
- Through leveraging customer contact relationships at multiple levels, the GAD is required to comprehensively understand the customer’s needs and practices. GAD should be seen as a strategic partner and key influencer, recognising the customer’s priorities, DMU member personal objectives, and DMU member attitudes and competitor offerings
- It is the responsibility of the GAD to ensure the account is serviced and managed properly and is positioned to grow and gain profitability in accordance with the account plan. This is done through a planned cycle of direct and frequent contact with customer DMU members and interaction with the firms operating management, in order to know the current state of service delivered to the account, whilst simultaneously driving operational quality and improvements.
- Effectively engages executive leadership at key points in the sales process during which their involvement provides additional support. Leverages synergy between regions and trade lanes and eliminates barriers. At all times keep the Executive Sponsor fully informed and in alignment with the Account plan and key projects.
Global Account ‘Way of Working’, Processes, Performance Reporting & Review
- It’s the duty and authority of the GAD to bring attention to shortfalls as early as possible and to make recommendations to operating management at all levels for the placement of resources, plant and equipment in order to adequately service the account. Operational excellence must remain a focal point at all time.
- Ensures and oversees the development of Service Level Agreement (SLAs), Statements of Work (SOWs) and Standard Operations Procedures (SOPs) as applicable.
- Adheres to approved company processes and procedures, and utilizes the CRM, Sales Methodology and other tools to document customer interaction, needs, and business projections.
Global Account Business Generation
- Personally drives and leads Pursuit Teams to establish the forms SWOT, mitigate issues and challenges whilst maximising strengths, thus developing winning strategies to convert identified opportunities into trading volumes, through delivering differentiated and compelling Value Propositions.
- Develops and implements Win/Win solutions that integrate products and services and go beyond the sale of a single point solution. Actively builds “stickiness” through value propositions presented and deployed. Achieves results through effective project proposals, negotiations, and contracts.
- Has strong financial acumen and understanding / transparency of the customers budget, and thereafter clearly articulates the value of the solution.
- Drives virtual account team members to actively and constantly uncover new opportunities to provide products, services, and solutions that lead to compelling proposals to enhance the customer’s supply chain performance, reduce costs, satisfy DMU member needs and change drivers and lead to growth with the assigned account(s)